Friday, May 2, 2014

Ehyeh asher Ehyeh and Ego Simi ; Exodus 3:14, John 8:58

Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
John 8:58 "Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!""

Ehyeh esher Ehyeh literally means "I will be what/that I will behttp://biblehub.com/hebrew/1961.htm )"Ehyeh is from the root He-Yod-He (Hayah) which means "to be" .


The Greek Septuagint renders the phrase "I am the Being" which seems to indicate something that is continous. Similar to wording the phrase, I am the Becoming/To-being. 


 Using "I am that I am" this case implies something that currently is, and will continue to remain. It is  improper however, when trying to connect it to the ego simi in John 8:58. Jesus was simple stating that before Abraham existed, he has been, and still is.

Ehyeh esher Ehyeh expounds on the meaning of Yahweh's name[He causes to become] and not Jesus.

Exodus 6:2 Then God said to Moses: “I am Jehovah. 3  And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but with regard to my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them

Some might think this means that before Moses, no one knew Yahweh's name. That isn't true because Abraham built an altar with God's name.

Genesis 22:14"And Abraham named that place Je·ho′vah-ji′reh. This is why it is still said today: “In the mountain of Jehovah it will be provided."

Ehyeh esher Ehyeh however was made known to Moses first.

Now back to Exodus 6:2 "but with regard to my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them". So Jesus saying " I am" doesn't mean he is the Ehyeh in Exodus 3:14, because his name isn't Jehovah. Although his name means "Jehovah is Salvation" he wasn't the first to have God's name implemented.(Jehu,Elijah,Isaiah,Jeremiah,Abijah, Micaiah, Jehoram ect.) Also his name wasn't always Jesus..
Philipians 2:9-10".....God exalted him .... and kindly gave him the name that is above every other ...., 10  so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend...."

John[Baptist] even called himself " I am"
Matthew 3:11"......., but the one coming after me is stronger than I am, whose sandals I am not worthy to take off.........

And so did many others. So if we use "I am" as a claim of Full Godness, then everyone who says "I am" is also God.

 Zechariah 13:5 "He will say, 'I am no prophet; I am a farmer. I began working for a farmer as a boy.'"

Daniel 1:10 "but the official told Daniel, "I am afraid of my lord the king,...."


1 Timothy 3:14"I am writing these things to you now, even though I hope to be with you soon,"


Luke 15:19 "I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.'

John 9:9 "Some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, I am he."

Jonah 1:9 "He replied: “I am a Hebrew, .....

No comments:

Post a Comment