Friday, December 6, 2013

Who is Jehovah?

Psalms 83:18   "May people know that you, whose name is JehovahYou alone are the Most High over all the earth."

Exodus 6:2,3  " Then God said to Moses: “I am Jehovah. 3  And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but with regard to my name Jehovah, I did not make myself known to them.

Revelation 15:3 "They were singing the song of Moses the slave of God and the song of the Lamb, saying: “Great and wonderful are your works, Jehovah God, the Almighty. Righteous and true are your ways, King of eternity.

Isaiah 42:8  "I am Jehovah. That is my nameI give my glory to no one else, Nor my praise to graven images."

Jehovah is the name of the God in the Bible

Why don't I see Jehovah in my Bible?
God's name was in the the original Hebrew Texts  around 7,000 times.The most mentioned name throughout the whole book. Of course it wasn't Jehovah, but instead it was in old Hebrew texts written as YHWH. Since only a few knew his original name,(Im talking about the Jews right now) the majority were not aware of the correct pronunciation. Out of fear for pronouncing it wrong and being disrespectful, they replaced his name with the word Adonai(Lord). This is why in most translations of the Bible, you will find LORD(All Caps) or GOD(All Caps) in the same place that YHWH would be.

If his original name is YHWH, where did Jehovah come from?
Since I try to make my posts as short and potent as possible, I simply cannot go into full detail on how this came about. But if you are interested, here's some articles that describe it better.
Click Here To Read It.


Why is it important for your bible to contain God's name in it?
Well there can be many benefits. People usually confuse Jesus and Jehovah as the same person, since they are both called Lord in the bible. Also, Jehovah appears more times in the bible than Jesus. Most people don't even know who Jehovah/YHWH/Yahweh is, simply because of the lack of his name being used in the scriptures.

Psalms 145:18 "Jehovah is near to all those calling on him, To all who call on him in truth"

Romans 10 :13 "For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”

He clearly wants us to use him name. Even gods of the pagan religions had names. It's only fair that we address our God by his name aswell.


No comments:

Post a Comment